1. Choose sandwiches, subs, salads, chicken and lean beef over burgers, hot dogs, and sausages.
2. Choose foods with minimal or no creamy sauces; these tend to be VERY high in fat calories.
3. Ask the waiter to bring sauces and dressings in a side dish rather than on top of your food. That way you can control how much of those high-calorie sauces get put on your food.
4. Don't drench your salad in dressing. If you must eat your salad with dressing, be conservative; the fat calories from dressing add up quickly. (I use apple cider vinegar as salad dressing..it's delicious...try it if you haven't)
5.Remember that, contrary to what your mother taught you, you don't have to eat EVERYTHING on your plate.lol Learn to recognize a serving size and stick to it and don't fret over food you leave on your plate.
6. Eat your vegetables and meat first to fill yourself with nutrient-dense foods before loading up on foods with fewer nutrients.
7. Don't load up on bread sticks before the meal arrives.lol
8. Stop eating before you feel full. If necessary, take leftovers home with you and finish them at another meal.
9. Ask the waiter to substitute a baked potato or other vegetable for fries.
10. Drink water or tea instead of soft drinks.